Ragout of Chicken, Red Thai Curry Sauce with Thai Basil, Kaffir Lime leaf, Galangal and Lemongrass
Courtesy of Moonstar Restaurant, Daly City, CA
10 ounces chicken dark meat, boned and skinless, cut large dices
2 ounces clarified butter
2 ounces shallots, minced
2 ounces mirepoix
1 cup Red Thai curry paste
2 ounces tomato paste
2 ounces potato, cut into small cubes
1 pint chicken stock
1 South East Asian Style sachet d’epices (kaffir lime leaves, Thai basil, galangal, and lemongrass)
curry powder as needed
salt as needed
1. Season the meat with salt and curry powder.
2. Sear the meat in a hot sauté pan. Remove it. In the same sauté pan, sweat the shallots in the butter.
3. Add the mirepoix. , sauté it until browned. Add red Thai curry paste, tomato paste, sachet d’epices, sauté it briefly.
4. Add chicken stock. Bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover. Finish the item in the oven until the meat is fork-tender. Remove the meat and keep it warm.
5. Strain the sauce, but leaving the potatoes in the sauce. Using a hand blender, adjust the consistency of the sauce. Season with salt to taste.