Roasted Japanese Yams with Chestnut Curry Sauce
By Tim Cushman, Chef & Co-Proprietor, o ya restaurant
Serves 6 people
Roasting Japanese Sweet Potatoes
2 pounds sweet potatoes (6 servings)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons Japanese curry powder
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 small russet potato, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 small ripe mango, cut into 1/2-inch dice
6 canned chestnuts
3 tablespoons chestnut liquid (from the can)
salt to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 bulbs fresh myoga, very thinly sliced (for garnish)
4 leaves fresh shiso, very thinly sliced (for garnish)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Rinse, then peel yams. Slice crosswise into approx. 3/4″ rounds.
3. Season evenly with salt and pepper.
4. Let sit one minute for salt to absorb. Place yam slices into a mixing bowl.
5. Drizzle oil over yams, mix to lightly coat each slice.
6. Place the yams ona non-stick sheet pan in a single layer. Roast in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until just tender. Test by sticking a toothpick into the center of a yam.
7. When done, remove the pan from the oven. Using a spatula, carefully remove yams to a serving dish or set aside to cool and reheat as needed.
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and carrot. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly softened. Do not let the mixture brown.
2. Add the curry powder and continue cooking on low heat, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in the stock. Add the potato, mango, chestnuts, chestnut liquid, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots soften. Remove the pan from the heat. Set aside for 30 minutes.
3. In a blender, puree the curry mixture until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan and reheat before serving.
Serving the Yams(Per Serving)
3 slices heated roasted yams
2 tablespoons chestnut curry sauce
Top with very thin sliced Myoga and Shiso Chiffonade (from a Japanese Market)