Firecracker Shrimp Recipe
recipe from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook
SERVES 4 TO 6 AS APPETIZER
1 tablespoon cornstarch or flour
1/4 cup (65 ml) water
24 medium tail-on shrimp, shelled (leave tail on) and deveined
1/2 teaspoon salt Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup (250 ml) sweet chilli sauce, divided
12 eggroll or fresh spring roll wrappers, cut in half diagonally and covered with plastic wrap or a damp cloth
High-heat cooking oil for frying
1. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the water to make a slurry.
2. Lay the shrimp flat on a cutting board and using a sharp par- ing knife, cut a few nicks on the inside curve of the shrimp. Be careful not to cut through the shrimp. Pat the shrimp very dry.
3. Season the shrimp with the salt and pepper. Pour 1/4 cup (65 ml) of the sweet chilli sauce on a small plate. Hold the shrimp by its tail and dip both sides of the shrimp in the sweet chilli sauce. Avoid getting the tails wet (if the tail of the shrimp is wet with marinade, it will splatter in the hot oil). Let the shrimp marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature.
4. Use paper towels to pat the shrimp slightly, to soak up the extra marinade. Some of the sticky sweet chilli sauce should still be on the shrimp.
5. Roll the shrimp in the halved wrappers, following the instructions below.
6. In a wok, deep fryer or large sauté pan, add 11/2 inches (3.75 cm) of oil and heat it to 375°F (190°C). Add the firecracker shrimp a few at a time to the oil and fry until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes. Drain on a baking rack and serve with a side of sweet chilli sauce for dipping.