Butter Prawns with Curry Leaves
2 cup of desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon kosher salt
5 tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons light soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Chinese rice wine or sake
2 lb large shrimps, shells on, heads on, deveined
1 cup of canola oil for deep frying
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 red jalapeno chilies – sliced
10 sprigs of Indian curry leaves*
4 cloves of garlic – minced
1. In a clean pan over medium heat, dry fry coconut till golden and fragrant. Set aside.
2. Mix salt, sugar, soy sauce and rice wine together. Set aside.
3. Clean prawns – trim legs and tentacles, deveined. Keep shells and heads on. Pat dry thoroughly.
4. Heat about ½ inch oil, and fry the prawns in small batches. Drain and set aside. Remove all but 3 Tablespoons of the shrimp oil.
5. Add butter to the pan high heat. Add chilies, curry leaves, garlic and salt and fry for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add sauce mixture. Toss in coconut. Toss in fried prawns.
7. Stir fry over high heat for another 1 min.
8. Garnish with cilantro.