Sambal & Cucumber Finger Sandwiches
Makes 12 mini sandwiches
3 fresh red chilies
2 small cloves of garlic
3 small shallots, sliced
2 teaspoons roasted belacan
½ inch piece of tumeric/ ½ teaspoon tumeric powder
½ inch of galangal
1 lemongrass, sliced, white part only
2/3 cup of dried shrimp, soaked
1 teaspoon tamarind paste mixed with ½ cup water
3 tablespoon sugar, to taste
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup canola oil
6 slices of white bread, crust removed
½ stick butter, at room temperature
¼ English cucumber
Preparing the spice paste:
1. Grind all spice paste in a food processor, set aside.
2. Drain the dried shrimps. Separately, place in food processor and grind till fine.
3. In a wok or a saucepan, heat ¼ cup canola oil on medium high. Fry paste till fragrant, red and oil has separated, about 7-10 minutes. Add more oil if necessary to prevent sticking.
4. Add the dried shrimp and sugar. Fry until aromatic, about 5 minutes. Add tamarind liquid. Continue cooking, adding more oil if necessary for another 10 minutes until the sambal is a dry and deep red in color.
5. Slice cucumber into thin rounds
6. Remove bread crust, and place two slices of bread on a cutting board. Generously smear butter on one side of each slice of bread.
7. Spread on a thin layer of the sambal, top with cucumber and sandwich with buttered bread.
8. Cut bread into 4 diagonally, making 4 tiny triangles.