6 pieces chicken legs with thighs, bones and skin on
2 tablespoons curry powder
3 small Russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch wedges
2 cups canola oil
5 red jalapeno chilies, seeded
3 stalks lemon grass
1 inch galangal
1 inch fresh turmeric / 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon roasted belacan
¼ cup canola oil
5 sprigs curry leaves
1 cup water
3 cups coconut milk, reserve 1 cup of the cream
2 tablespoons kosher salt, to taste
Marinating the chicken:
1. Rub the curry powder over the chicken
Preparing the potatoes:
2. Peel the potatoes and cut each into 4 pieces. Pat dry.
3. Heat a skillet with about 2-inch of oil. Fry the potatoes till it is golden on the outside. Remove and set aside. The potatoes need not be cooked through.
Preparing the spice paste:
4. Roughly chop up all the spice paste ingredients (except lemongrass and galangal that needs to be finely chopped).
5. Place all spice paste ingredients in a food processor and grind into a fine paste.
Cooking the curry:
6. Heat about ¼ cup of oil in a pot on medium high. Add the spice paste and curry leaves fry till fragrant and red, about 5 minutes.
7. Add the marinated chicken and fry for about 3 minutes.
8. Add 1 cup water and 2 cups of coconut milk and salt. Simmer for about 10 minutes
9. Add the fried potatoes and reserved 1 cup coconut milk, and simmer uncovered until chicken is tender and gravy has thicken, about 30 minutes-45 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.