Sukiyaki (Sweet Soy Beef and Vegetable Hotpot)
By Susie Donald, Makano Kawana and Adrian Lander, Japanese Homestyle Dishes: Quick and Delicious Favorites (Learn to Cook series)
Reprinted with the express permission of Tuttle Publishing.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
12 dried or fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
1 lb (450 g) beef tenderloin, thinly sliced
8 oz (250 g) dried shirataki or glass noodles
8 oz (250 g) firm tofu, cubed
2 small leeks, rinsed and sliced diagonally
4 oz (125 g) spinach, washed and coarsely sliced
2 tablespoons oil
3/4 cup (175 ml) soy sauce
1/4 cup (60 ml) sake
1/4 cup (60 ml) mirin
1/2 cup (125 ml) water
1. If using dried mushrooms, soak in hot water for 20 minutes until soft. Drain the mushrooms and squeeze out any excess moisture.
2. Combine the Sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3. Arrange the mushrooms, beef, shirataki noodles, tofu and spinach in 4 batches.
4. Heat the oil in a hotpot on a tabletop hotplate. Stir-fry the ingredients in batches until the food is cooked to taste. Cook the rest of the food in similar batches.
5. Diners can use chopsticks to take the cooked meat or vegetables from the hotpot.
6. Replenish the hotpot with the remaining ingredients as needed.